The University of South Florida moved one step closer in its search to replace former President Steve Currall with the announcement of a 15-member presidential search committee.
Following Tuesday’s Board of Trustees meeting, Chair Will Weatherford notified the USF community that a “broadly representative,” 15-member committee would begin the search for the next permanent university president. The committee will follow membership guidelines established by the Florida Board of Governors for presidential searches. Weatherford said each member of the group “brings a unique perspective on USF’s future, and their diverse viewpoints will be valuable as this process moves ahead.”
The search committee will first reach out to stakeholder groups to ensure the position profile aligns with USF’s mission and strategic goals. They will also market the position, screen and interview candidates, and provide non-committee members with opportunities to interact with the finalists and provide their feedback to the committee. When the search is complete, they will recommend an unranked list of finalists to the Board of Trustees who will have the “ultimate consideration.”
“I have full confidence in this esteemed group of individuals, who care deeply about the University of South Florida and its future,” said Weatherford.
The USF Board of Trustees also announced SP&A Executive Search, led by Alberto Pimental, will work with the search committee to “help attract a diverse pool of talented candidates.” Weatherford said the firm has recent experience with similar roles at other public state universities in Florida.
“Our search firm selection committee was also impressed by this firm’s understanding of the changing higher education landscape nationally and its substantial candidate reach,” said Weatherford.
The selections follow Currall announcing his resignation on July 19 after serving as President for only two years. Rhea Law was selected to act as Interim President until a permanent replacement is found. Her appointment is still subject to confirmation by the USF Board of Governors at its next meeting on Aug. 31.
Weatherford said that all meetings of the search committee will be open to the public, and to visit www.usf.edu/president-search for more information and opportunities for engagement. Super Bowl champion and NFL Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is a notable addition to the list that is comprised of the following individuals:
- Chair Michael E. Griffin, USF Board of Trustees
- Vice-Chair Melissa Seixas, State President – Duke Energy Florida, USF Board of Trustees
- Tammy Allen, USF Distinguished University Professor, Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Derrick Brooks, EVP Corporate & Community Development, Vinik Sports Group; Motivational Speaker; NFL Hall of Famer; Board Member, Kforce, Inc.; President and Founder, Derrick Brooks Charities
- Lisa Carlton, USF Sarasota-Manatee Campus Advisory Board
- Braulio Colón, Vice President, Florida Student Success Initiatives, Helios Education Foundation
- John Couris, President and CEO, Tampa General Hospital
- Julia Cunningham, USF student, USF Board of Trustees
- Oscar J. Horton, President and CEO of Sun State International, USF Board of Trustees
- Patrick Hwu, MD, President and CEO, Moffitt Cancer Center
- Ken Jones, Founder and CEO of TL Capital and Third Lake Partners, SUS BOG
- Mark T. Mondello, CEO, Jabil Inc.
- Sylvia Wilson Thomas, Ph.D., USF Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering, Fellow – American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, Senior Member, National Academy of Inventors
- Debbie Nye Sembler, USF St. Petersburg Campus Advisory Board
- Jose E. Valiente, Chair, USF Foundation Board of Directors, Retired Partner at Clifton Larson Allen, LLP