The world is a deeply uncertain place right now. We’re all stressed and anxious. We’re wondering if we’ll be able to pay our bills, wondering about the health and safety of our loved ones near and far, wondering what the future holds. But one thing is bringing this writer hope. Everyone, across the globe, is dealing with this together. We’re banding together – from separate homes, on separate streets, in separate neighborhoods – to bring joy to one another in the darkest of times.
And so, we at the Catalyst are committed to bringing you a daily dose of levity. We’re sharing what we’re reading, watching, doing, and listening to, in order to bring levity to our own lives. We’ll also share random things we’re talking about, laughing about and smiling about on social media, in pop culture and beyond. We encourage you to share your daily sources of levity with us in the comments or on social media.
What we’re listening to…
Are you listening to podcasts yet? We sure hope so. Podcasts are the entertainment source for this writer. If you haven’t quite gotten into the groove yet, check out this beginner’s guide to podcasting from the New York Times.
- Single episode: This American Life‘s latest episode: “Alone Together”
- Single episode: New York Times’ The Daily Special Episode: “This Tom Hanks Story Will Make You Feel Less Bad”
- Series: RadioLab’s The Other Latif
- Daily: NPR’s Up First
What we’re doing…
With all of this extra time at home, how are you spending it? Are you staying fit and hydrated? Are you sleeping enough? Has your social life dissolved? Are you stir crazy? This writer impulse purchased a new pair of running shoes and a ukulele this week. And started painting her kitchen cabinets (advice: never do that.)
- Meditating with Elizabeth Gilbert.
- Teaching our old dogs new tricks.
- Running a virtual 5k to help save local businesses.
- Hosting virtual happy hours, game nights, movie nights and play dates.
- Supporting local businesses as much as we can – through reviews, gift cards, delivery and curb-side pick-up options.
What we’re watching…
Never in the history of the world has there been more streaming options than there are today – or more celebrities accessible by social media! Take advantage of your down time by catching up on tons of new releases and some old classics.
- Celebrity Instagram Lives: Coldplay’s Chris Martin and John Legend play #AtHomeTogether
- Rewatching old Netflix standbys like: The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, The Office and Cheers
- Watching new Hulu favorites like: Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, Dave and Little Fires Everywhere
How we’re staying healthy, wealthy and wise…
There is SO MUCH shared knowledge on this big world wide web of ours, take advantage of it.
- Free: The Whole Life Challenge Pop-up: Practice 7 Daily Habits
- Getting 10 minutes of stretching and mobility in regularly
- Working on our optimism – even in times of uncertainty and doubt