Today, we’re all about kindness. We’re seeing it everywhere. Are you? Tell us what you’re seeing and we might just feature your story.
Every day, we’re sharing what we’re reading, watching, doing and listening to … the things that bring levity to our own lives. We’ll also share random things we’re talking about, laughing about and smiling about on social media, in pop culture and beyond. We encourage you to share your daily sources of levity with us in the comments or on social media.
What we’re watching…
YouTube videos, documentaries, TV shows and beyond.
Clap for carers: millions applaud NHS staff on coronavirus frontlines. Watching thousands across the UK applauding together for healthcare workers of the NHS will lift even the most sapped of spirits. (St. Pete — are we ready to give our own collective applause for our incredible frontline fighters of Covid-19?)
Netflix: Expedition Happiness. A filmmaker and his musician girlfriend attempt an epic road trip with their dog, traveling across North America in a refurbished school bus.
- Netflix: Grace and Frankie. This rowdy, playful and always poignantly fun show throws ageism and sexism to the wind. Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda give extraordinary performances and are – as always – hilarious.
- Netflix: The Kindness Diaries. This show has been reminding us of how most people, across the country and abroad, are givers. A life-affirming document of overcoming hardship, living with a sense of adventure and people looking out for each other.
- Amazon: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. From the creator of Gilmore Girls (so you know it’s good!), this comedy (three seasons are streaming) has everything. Glamorous early 1960s New York, incredible costuming and some of the best writing in television.
What we’re listening to…
Local musicians, playlists and podcasts to entertain your brain.
- St. Pete’s Danny and Alex: Breakup Haircut. This dreamy pop song is the perfect earworm. You won’t be able to get it out of your head for days, it’s just that good.
- Wondery: Joe Exotic. So you’ve seen the Netflix show Tiger King, but what about the podcast? This crazy story with local Florida connections plays out one episode at a time, with podcasts released every Tuesday.
- Nonprofit Quarterly: Cyndi Suarez’s Pandemic Playlist. Suarez shares songs from her “Pandemic Playlist” and describes the ways in which these artists are giving her courage and hope in a time of crisis. One of the songs she chose is Aretha Franklin’s up-tempo “Get It Right.”